Sunday, February 28, 2010

Goodbye, my friend

Well, it's been a year since I have posted here. I guess I just haven't had much to say. Before I could write anything, I had a lot of dusting to do around here. And I had to do it quickly, so my tears wouldn't turn the dust into mud. Yes, my friends, it is with heavy heart and many tears that I write this post. I am writing to say goodbye to a dear, dear friend. His name was Brian, but I met him as "Alex" and Alex he will always be to me.

I don't actually remember when I met Alex, but it must have been 10 years or more. He created a chat room on AOL where we all met up. Many good time and laughs shared there. About three years ago Alex became interested in Internet radio, and he became a DJ. As a DJ at HotTrax Radio, Alex did a show on Monday mornings. And what a great show he put on! DJ Alex always had a well planned and thought out show. His shows were well rounded- they included a variety of music. And he always had interesting facts to go along with his tunes. After I became a DJ, I realized just how much work Alex put into his shows. The ease, the charm, the wit that came through in Alex's show were pure Alex. Alex's personality came through in his shows as they did in real life.

When Alex became ill, he was determined not to let it define him. His personality, his outlook on life, never changed. He continued living life to the fullest. I'm sure there were hard days for him, but he never let it show. His love for his friends never wavered. He was the glue that held us together. When my life took a different path, and I didn't get around to our weekly meetings very often, he continued to keep me up on what the others were doing.

I never got the opportunity to meet Alex in person. I regret that, but I know he would have been the same wonderful man that I had come to know and love on the internet. In the last few months I didn't have a chance to visit much with him. His shows were on Monday mornings, and I was usually at work. He needed more rest, so he was seldom able to stay up to catch my shows. The last time I spoke with him was the Monday I had off for Martin Luther King Day in January. It was one of his last shows. His show was wonderful as always. I filled in for DJ Sierra that day, so he caught part of my show then. I never imagined it would be the last time I would talk to him, but it was a good day. I'm glad I have that memory.

When I started this blog, I set out to interview the DJs at HotTrax. Alex was the first one to respond. If you are interested, you can read that post here http://dj-texastalk.blogspot.com/2008/11/dj-alex.html .

Tomorrow we will be having a tribute to Alex on HotTrax Radio. It will be hard for us all, but something we all want to do. I wish we could do more.

Rest in peace, Alex. I imagine you are enjoying your pint, and DJing for the angels. Enjoy, my friend, and know you will be missed- gone from us, but never forgotten. Love, Snowy








No comments: