Sunday, April 11, 2010

Empty Bucket

I used to blog frequently... another blog, another time. Sometimes I had a point, sometimes I just wrote to hear myself talk, and sometimes it was somewhat therapeutic- I never expected any answers, but I often felt better just getting it out of my system. This is going to be one of those posts. I don't expect any answers, heck, I don't even expect anyone to read it, but I do hope to feel better after writing.

I'm a "nice" person. I'm not saying I don't have a mean bone in my body, 'cause I do. But it's a small one, and it must be in my head, 'cause that's where the mean thoughts usually start and end. I'm sure in my youth I probably used it some, but I don't recall ever saying or doing anything to purposefully hurt another person. That's not to say I don't get upset, get mad, or get my feelings hurt. I do, and sometimes too often. But I deal with it. Usually internally. Yeah, I keep stuff to myself a lot. But I do it to protect others. I don't want anyone worrying about me. I don't want people to walk on eggshells around me. And for the most part I'm a happy go lucky kinda girl. And I'm very good at putting on a happy face, so that even when things are bothering me, I seldom let on to others. And I like to do for others; I enjoy making other people happy, making them feel good, doing things for others. That's just the way I roll.

I read a book to my students at the first of the year about a happiness bucket. We all have one. Your bucket is filled when you do things for others; when you make them feel good. You fill your bucket by filling the bucket of others. But lately I find my bucket depleted. Many of the people I love and care about are going through trying times. No one has been ugly to me, or done anything to me to cause me to feel bad. I guess I just spend so much time worrying about others, that I'm emptying my bucket faster than it can be filled. Lately I find myself tired, drained of energy, and near tears. And for that I feel bad, almost guilty for even writing this. I have little about which to complain. I have wonderful friends and family who love me. I have a good job. I have a nice home. I am comfortable. Just last week in class we talked about wants and needs. The four needs are food, shelter, clothing, and love- and I have those things in abundance. So why then do I often feel so sad? It's silly, huh?

Now that it's all written down, maybe I can let go of it, and hopefully feel better. We'll see... keep your fingers crossed!

3 comments:

Sailor said...

I am crossing my fingers that it works that way for you- and it's not silly, a lot of us "have everything" and get beyond sadness, to the point where it doesn't matter at all.

Hugs, and of course people are gonna read, good to see you posting something :)

Anonymous said...

I'd guess lonely. Reading your description I think you might be missing the bucket thing. Or I might! Ha.

Well I'm pulling for you and it'll be ok, ebb and flow, etc.

See that smile ---->
(ok its only over there cause of the location of my comment box on the screen right now but that is pointing at your beautiful smile) we need to get you more of that somehow!

I also giggled at the little mean bone! bwhahahahahahaha

jam said...

hello sweet thing. it's been a long time. i hope this will help put a little bit in your bucket. a friend sent me your new blog. a lot has happen since we last talked. good... bad... a big roller coaster. i'll be back from time to time. good to see your writing again.